Got mold? Give Jim a call at (810) 569-1863!



Mitigating Mold

How do you get the molds out of buildings, including homes, schools, and places of employment?

Mold growing in homes and buildings indicates that there is a problem with water or moisture. This is the first problem to address.

Remove moldy items from living areas.  Once mold starts to grow in carpet, insulation, ceiling tiles, drywall, or wallboard, the only way to deal with the problem is by removal and replacement.

It is important to properly clean and dry the area as you can still have an allergic reaction to parts of the dead mold and mold contamination may recur if there is still a source of moisture.

Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly.

Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24-48 hours) after any flooding.  Dig out mud and dirt .  Use a wet vacuum to remove remaining dirt. Scrub cleanable surfaces (such as wood, tile, stone) with hot soapy water and a bristle brush.  Thoroughly clean all hard surfaces (such as flooring, molding, wood and metal furniture, countertops, and sinks) with water and dish detergent. Dry surfaces quickly and thoroughly after cleaning. If you have a fan, air conditioner or dehumidifier that wasn’t affected by flooding use it to help the surfaces dry after you finish cleaning

Mold growth can be removed from HARD SURFACES with commercial products, soap and water, or a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup (8 ounces) of bleach in 1 gallon of water to kill mold on surfaces. Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners.

If you choose to use bleach to clean up mold:

Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.

Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.

Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.

Small areas (such as a shower, or an area the size of a door) can often be cleaned by residents, but larger areas might need more professional help.  Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.

If you have an extensive amount of mold and you do not think you can manage the cleanup on your own, you may want to contact a professional who has experience in cleaning mold in buildings and homes.

source: CDC website

Share:  Add to Facebook Tweet This Add to Delicious Submit to Digg Stumble This

Here's what my clients say about me:

Jim Dietrich performed mold testing on my parent's home, which I coordinated while they were out of town.  He was on-time and professional.  He gave us a detailed report on the testing outcome and scope of work needed to remedy the mold problem.  He was responsive to questions we had and provided alternative solutions to the scope of work.  He proactively kept us informed of the status of the lab testing, when the lab was late delivering results.  Thank you Jim! 

 

Roger

Grand Blanc, Michigan


 

Michigan Mold Consultants
Jim Dietrich
Flushing, MI 48433
(810) 569-1863